SoundBlaster Live

Daniel Franklin daniel at ieee.uow.edu.au
Sun Oct 28 19:57:19 CST 2001

Pete wrote:

> I think that people may be missing my point. I already use the Linux driver
> for Linux applications, but when trying to run Windows applications using
> Wine it won't work because Wine can't use the sound card.

Ah. Sorry.

> You can't specify the Linux driver for Wine, can you?

You don't as such (except to specify the open sound system, currently the
only available wine audio driver). That's the whole point of drivers, they
abstract the hardware so it looks the same to an application running on top.
If the Linux sound driver is working then probably it's either a permissions
problem or a wine misconfiguration problem. You need to tell wine to use the
oss drivers (if that's what you're using). If you've got something like

[WinMM]
"Drivers" = "wineoss.drv"
"WaveMapper" = "msacm.drv"
"MidiMapper" = "midimap.drv"

I think it should work (assuming permissions and ownership are OK on
/dev/dsp and friends).

- Daniel

*      Daniel Franklin - Postgraduate student in Electrical Engineering
*      University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia  *  d.franklin at ieee.org