error message not understood

gerard patel g.patel at wanadoo.fr.invalid
Tue Oct 30 16:22:12 CST 2001

On Tue, 30 Oct 2001 15:04:45 +0500, "John F. Godfrey, Pastor"
<johnfg at spirit.org> wrote:

>Hi Gerard,
>
>Sorry it's taken so long to get back in touch.  I ran out of time yesterday afternoon.
>
>I installed wine from source rpm.  I downloaded the latest, today, after a system reinstall,
>compiled and installed via the ./tools/wineinstall.  I am getting the same errors, except
>it's dumping core consistently.

at the moment I can't say if wine is failing because there is a very
big problem in your setup or it's that your application has features
that Wine don't implement currently.
So : did you try Wine with other applications and did it succeed
or did it fail in the same way ?

>It seems as though wine is not reading or finding the windows 2000 professional registry.
>Does it need to?  And how do I tell it where it is?

Native registry can be useful, even necessary in some cases.
It depends on the application.

Wine can find native registry according to the window directory
you set in the config file. But I don't know if 'native' win2k
registry is readable by Wine. There is code in Wine to support
'native' registry until NT only.

If this was a problem, a way to workaround it is to export the
registry under Windows in a text file (using regedit) and import
it into Wine using a Wine tool called regapi.

But I don't think this is the problem.

Gerard