Performance in Half-Life

Jonas Kalderstam colonelj at tjohoo.se
Tue Sep 4 10:28:05 CDT 2001

I got it working with wine, yay... And it's entirely playable but two
problems puzzle me.

Number one: The sound is lagging behind. I shoot and then about 1 second
later, the gun makes a noise. Now the gun fires instantly but the sound
is just delayed. (the same with all sound in half-life, no other game
though).
Anyone else had this problem?

Number two: Performance is still rather poor. The fps is kinda low,
time-demo tests give a result of 24 fps at 640x480. I then increase to
800x600. Performance is the same and gives another 24 fps average in
timedemos...
I read about someone who had a similar problem but forgot where :(
Anyways, I tried fixing it with maxfps 100 (used to be 72) but it didn't
make any difference. Is there another switch for a similar option
perhaps that I don't know about?

Thanks for any assistance.

Jonas Kalderstam