Netscape

Lee Sau Dan sdlee at eti.hku.hk
Sat Sep 8 06:24:54 CDT 2001

    The> There is a Linux-native version of Netscape available.

I'm trying to run Netscape browser under wine, too.  I have been using
Netscape browser  on Solaris, IRIX and  Linux for years  to access web
sites that  uses graphics and frames.   But I recently  want to access
some fancy  sites (web-banking),  and I find  that they're  broken for
non-Windows platforms.  They  have no intention to tidy  up the broken
contents  to make  them work  on Netscape/Linux.   So, I  want  to try
Netscape/Windows.  I have tried Netscape/Windows/VMWare, and it works!
So, obviously, it's a problem related to OS.  But VMWare is too heavy,
so, I consider Netscape/WINE.

    The> Or
    The> you can download the Mozilla source and try to compile it, if
    The> you're really adventurous. :-)

Wow!  You mean compiling Mozilla  for Linux?  Doesn't the Mozilla site
offer pre-compiled binaries for Linux?  Or do you mean cross-compiling
Mozilla using the WINE library?

Anyway, I have tried downloading  the Windows binary for Netscape 4 as
well  as  Netscape  6.  Both  failed  to  install  under Wine,  to  my
disappointment.  So, out of luck.

    The> I'm not sure if the Windows version of Netscape4 or Netscape6
    The> runs under Wine yet.

They don't install.   I'm not sure if running them  off a real Windows
partition would work, though.

--
Lee Sau Dan                     §õ¦u´°(Big5)                    ~{@nJX6X~}(HZ)