Wine and cyrillic input and output ?

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at sloboda.ru
Sun Sep 9 07:32:42 CDT 2001

"Nikita V. Youshchenko" <yoush at cs.msu.su> wrote:

> Is it possible to run russian win98 programs under current wine, and get
> russian input and output?

Yes, it is possible. It works out of the box for both 16 and 32-bit apps.

> If yous, how to setup this? My desktop is
> russian, I have both koi8-r and unicode fonts installed.

Look at the wine/documentation/samples/config file. There are a couple of
samples for russian users in the [fonts] section. Yet another useful
setting is "TextCP" in the [x11drv] section. It servers as a hint for the
x11drv in which encoding send data to X11 to display windows' captions.
For koi8-r fonts that parameter should be set to 20866.

> Last time I tried wine some months ago (maybe a year), and all russian
> output of the programs was unreadable - it looked like second byte of
> unicode characters was just set to zero.

Cyrillic output is working starting from june, input - from october 2000.

--
Dmitry.