wine serial support

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Fri Sep 14 17:57:09 CDT 2001

On Fri, 14 Sep 2001, Raul Dias wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I use wine to run a terminal emulator (NetTerm).
> It connects to a Linux Server (it was meant to run from windows) that runs a commerce software.
>
> This Linux commerce software sends the terminal emulator escape codes to interface with a
> "ticket" printer attached to a serial port.
>
> The reason to go thru all this problem is that the printer has a proprietary, closed source driver
> for windows only and interface only with netterm.
>
> With wine 20001026 this works greatfull.  The application takes 3 seconds to startup
> in a P133 machine.
>
> However, the serial communication part does not work with the later versions of wine
> like 20010731.  The application reports as if there is no serial port and wine complains
> with some fixmes about comm support.

Well, quote the fixme's.

> Did wine suffered a big serial change over the last year?

Massive reorganization, which shouldn't have broken anything.  My comms
apps still work.  Mmmm, didn't the config file format and location
change some time in 200012xx?  Or was that the year before?  Have you
accounted for the fact that Wine doesn't look for a global wine.conf
file anymore, but only $WINEPREFIX/config (~/.wine/config)?

> Now the important thing:
> What can I do to help debug this problem (and make it work
> on latest wine versions)?
> Run it in the latest wine with --debugmsg +all is enough?
>

> Regards,
>
> Raul Dias

--debugmsg +all is probably too much.

--debugmsg +file,+comm,+relay is more likely to be useful; maybe just
+file,+comm would be enough, if we can't figure it out from the fixmes.

Lawson
---oof---

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.