Wine Errors

Dan Kegel dkegel at ixiacom.com
Mon Sep 24 18:15:56 CDT 2001

Ben Waldher wrote:
> Ok, I am running Redhat Linux 7.1 on my second hard drive, on my main hard
> drive I have windows 98 second edition. So, in the console I type:
> mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /disks/c
> and I got my Drive C in my wine config set to the appropriate directory. So
> I browse to /disks/c in the console and type:
> wine program.exe
> And the following error comes up:
> Warning: could not find wine config [Drive x] for current working directory
> /disks/c/windows; starting in windows driectory
> wine: cannot find 'program.exe'
> This happens with all the programs I use.

You probably need to edit ~/.wine/config and tell it that
drive C is /disks/c, e.g.
[Drive C]
"Path" = "/disks/c"
"Type" = "hd"
"Label" = "c"
"Filesystem" = "win95"

or something like that.  Might depend on which version of Wine you're
using.

> Now, when I do a cd I browse to
> that and try setup.exe. The following error shows up:
> FIXME:pthread_rwlock_rdlock
> FIXME:pthread_rwlock_unlock
> FIXME:pthread_rwlock_rdlock
> FIXME:pthread_rwlock_unlock
> Then up comes a window:
> Setup Initialization Error
>
> Setup Requires a different version of windows. Check to make sure that you
> are running Setup on the Windows platform for which it is intended.
>
> Error 102.
>
> BTW, the program on the CD was Half-Life.

Many setup.exe programs don't work properly on Wine.  It's often best
to install the programs under Windows, then use them under Linux with
wine.
- Dan