What the HELL is deadbeef?! Or lstat64.c?

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Tue Sep 25 19:07:34 CDT 2001

On Tue, Sep 25, 2001 at 05:39:36PM -0600, Praedor Tempus wrote:
> OK, I have windoze ME installed on my system and have been trying to run IE
> 6.0 with wine release 20010824.  Trying to start iexplore.exe goes along
> until:

> Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0xdeadbeef in 32-bit code
> (0xdeadbeef).
> In 32-bit mode.
> 0xdeadbeef (_end+0x9df10793): *** Invalid address 0xdeadbeef
> (_end+0x9df10793)
> -- no code --
> Enter path to file 'lstat64.c':

> What is this?  Deadbeef?  lstat64.c?

	0xdeadbeef (Dead Beef) is the favorite snack of Chuck U Farley.

	IOW...  Bad programmer humor (and you can take several different
ways depending on intonation, emphasis, or association).

	It's something that, probably, too many of us plug into programs
for default values to blow up on (or just use) when no other values are
available or make any better sense and we don't feel like querying
/dev/random.  >;->  I lose track of how many times I've see someone use
that as an initial sequence number or some nonce value in a hack or
exploit.  Should be interesting to hear why it reared it's head here.

	But I guess that didn't answer what you wanted to know, even
though it did answer what you asked.  :-/

> praedor

	Mike
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/