What the HELL is deadbeef?! Or lstat64.c?

Dave Platt dplatt at radagast.org
Tue Sep 25 19:20:35 CDT 2001

In article <Sy8s7.5949$ck.647683 at news.uswest.net>,
Praedor Tempus  <praedor at uswest.net> wrote:

>OK, I have windoze ME installed on my system and have been trying to run IE
>6.0 with wine release 20010824.  Trying to start iexplore.exe goes along
>until:
>
>Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0xdeadbeef in 32-bit code
>(0xdeadbeef).
>In 32-bit mode.
>0xdeadbeef (_end+0x9df10793): *** Invalid address 0xdeadbeef
>(_end+0x9df10793)
>-- no code --
>Enter path to file 'lstat64.c':
>
>What is this?  Deadbeef?  lstat64.c?

A hex value of 0xDEADBEEF is a popular value for initializing areas of
memory when they are first allocated.  It's an easily-recognizable
pattern, which does not (in most systems) correspond to an actual,
valid user virtual or physical memory address.

This crash strongly suggests that some code has been passed an
uninitialized pointer.

lstat() is a system call, used to enquire about the type and status of
a file or symbolic link.

If I had to guess, I'd guess that one of the WINE DLLs is not
completely initializing a WIN32 data structure in the same way that ME
does, and that this is a data structure whose internal format has
changed between 95/98 and ME.

Dave Platt                                           dplatt at radagast.org
Visit the Jade Warrior home page:  http://www.radagast.org/jade-warrior/