wave/OSS and JumpStart Kindergarten...

Tony Lambregts tony_lambregts at telusplanet.net
Thu Apr 4 23:22:22 CST 2002

dwho at frotz.org wrote:

>Warning: WINE Newbie Alert.  Proceed with caution....
>
>Background: I don't want to fork up $$$ for a separate Windows machine for my
>kid so I've decided to see if I can run any of the popular brain-rot software
>under WINE (Is it "WINE" or "Wine" or "wine"?) on a Linux 2.4.18 kernel.  My
>first project is a vintage 1995 version of JumpStart Kindergarten.
>
>Seeing this thing actually start up with sound just blew me away at first.
>It's been more than a year since I last tried wine and the stability has come
>a long way!  Well, now on to the problem....  The sound cuts off after the
>first few waves are played.  I turned on --debugmsg trace+wave,warn+wave and
>a few traces of my own to see what was going on.  It appears that JSK is
>trying to open the sound device (wodOpen) on one thread while it is in the
>middle of using it to play (wodPlay) on another thread.  Access/Modification
>of the static OSS_OpenFD isn't thread safe, so when OSS_OpenDevice() fails,
>the -1 is stuffed into OSS_OpenFD, which hoses the playback thread.  If I
>make the necessary changes to make the OSS_OpenDevice() failure not blast
>OSS_OpenFD, the playing thread eventually does finish.  All the while, the
>other thread keeps tring the open again and again....  Ultimately, though
>the playing thread never goes through the Reset/Unprepare/Close sequence,
>so no sound after that point.
>
>My questions: Am I looking at too low a level in the code to properly diagnose
>this?  Are there higher level functions that should be ensuring complete
>playback (including close)?  What other debug traces should I turn on?  Or
>does this look like a bug in the app that I need to work around?
>
>Thanks in advance for any help.
>--David

Probably the best thing to do is get a bug report on bugzilla and attach
a few of those traces to it so that someone smarter  than me can have a
look at them.

http://bugs.codeweavers.com

You need to create an account first before you can add a bug.

Please add you app to the AppDB as well.  At some point these two
 databases should be linked and It will be easier to match bugs to apps.

http://appdb.codeweavers.com/

You need to create an account here as well before you can add an app.

If  you  need help with any of this I will do what I can.

Tony Lambregts