regedit.exe notepad.exe and other wine substitutes

Raul Dias chaos at swi.com.br
Wed Apr 17 22:08:53 CDT 2002

Tony Lambregts <tony_lambregts at telusplanet.net> wrote:

>The programs in /programs clock etc. are winelib programs.  They are
>*nix programs that require the wine libraries to run hense "WineLib".
>You first have to comple them.

Yes, I understand this.

>if I want to run clock  I run "clock" not "wine clock" or "wine
>clock.exe".  One thing though. clock and clock.so should be accessable
>from a a drive defined in  ~/.wine/config otherwise it can give you
>errors. If you do not do the final make install as root clock is not in
>the unix path but I can still run by specifying exactly where it is, for
>example ~/wine/programs/clock.  Beware I use clock as an example but it
>is not a really really great program.

ok.

However the point is that some programs like installers needs to run
a few windows program like regedit.exe (office 95 needs it) and notepad.exe
(as when displaying a README file at the end of the installation).

I don't want to add a copy of window's real notepad.exe and regedit.exe
(unless necessary) in a windows free wine c: tree.

So, if I move regedit from the program/ dir to c:\windows and rename it
to regedit.exe (as a link to wine) and mv the .so file too renaming it to
regedit.exe.so will work?

Or win32 intallers uses some file extension association (mime/type) api in the
registry to know which app should be run?

If the later is true, can I access these file associations in the registry?

[]'s
Raul Dias