regapi with global registry

Rizsanyi Zsolt rizsanyi at myrealbox.com
Mon Apr 22 19:16:57 CDT 2002

Hi!

On Monday 22 April 2002 19:45, Raul Dias wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a global windows fake tree, which every user in the
> group "wine" can access.
>
> However I got a problem dealing with new applications installed.
>
> When a user (any user, even root) installs an application, the
> registry entries goes to $HOME/.wine/*.reg .
>
> This also means that other users will not be able to use
> it because of the missing registry entries.
>
> I use the regSet.sh, regFixer.pl and regRestorer.pl to generete
> a diff .reg file with the changed registries.
>
> When a user (even root) uses regapi to add this values:
> regapi setValue < file.reg
>
> The data goes to the user's registry and not to the
> global registry (even if the user has access to it).
>
> Is there a way to tell wine/regapi (or regedit) to add the
> new values to the global registry?
>
> If not, the only solutions I can think of is:
>
> 1 - make every user run the regapi command.
>
> 2 - * create a new user (or to use a WINEPREFIX var),
>     * change its config to save the whole
>       registry (which would make the global config
>       save under the user's dir).
>     * copy the resulting registry to the global configuration
>       (/etc/wine.*reg)
>
> If it isn't really possible to write to the global
> wine registry using standard wine tools this is really
> a drawback in wine which would be needed for a wine
> 0.9 or 1.0 release.  That would allow multi-user
> wine environments to be easier stablished.

I have read somewhere (maybe in wine documentation) the solution to your
problem.
Make symlinks instead of real registry files for your root user from
/home/root/.wine/*.reg to the global config files.
Then you should do all installation (or use regapi) by root, and all settings
will go to the global config.

Best Regards
Zsolt Rizsanyi