Installing IE

David Jones gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Aug 7 02:13:35 CDT 2002

On 6 Aug 2002, at 23:43, Ambassador Incursio wrote:

> I usually avoid questioning someone's reasons for
> doing something when they ask for help, but I am
> sorry, I gotta ask it here:  Why?

Well, at my office, a number of our intranet apps (such
as the system we all have to use to put in vacation
requests and sick leave, our online service request
system, and our online purchase req system) work only
in IE. Blame that on staff programmers who like MS
products, but also on the fact that they're too
shorthanded to test and debug their web apps on
multiple browser platforms.

I just evaluated an online training vendor's product line.
It doesn't work with NS6 or Mozilla, which they admit
and state that they have no plans to fix. It claims to
work with Netscape 4.7x, but I could never login using
NS 4.79. It didn't even work with IE 5.5. It only worked
with IE6. It uses the Windows Media Player and
Shockwave for the multimedia part of the courses.
Does WMP work under WINE? Is there a Linux version
of Shockwave?

Then there are sites that require ActiveX plugins.

Finally, there are products (such as the web
calendaring app my employer uses) that use archaic
browser sniffing techniques and simply refuse to even
*let* you try any browser platform version except the
few that they accept.

I'd much rather be using Linux at work than W98 and/or
WindowsXP, but not quite yet. And the majority of our
programming staff want to move to .NET and buy the
whole MS thing completely. We're rolling out
WindowsXP and MS OfficeXP as the organization's
standard PC platform (the Mac users will get OS X as
their machines are replaced with new ones).

David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com