installation didn't set up a registry

Andriy Palamarchuk apa3a at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 28 09:22:25 CDT 2002

--- cocofan <cocofan at mailbolt.com> wrote:
>  First of all,  I'm using wine source code tar file
> version 20020804. I
> ran wineinstall to compile and install wine on a
> Linux-only machine
> (Mandrake 8.2).  It creates the windows directory
> alright but the system
> and system32 directories don't have any dll's or
> registry information in
> them.  Doesn't the install process setup a fake
> registry?  Do I have to
> copy one from a windows installation?  Or is there a
> tool I can use to
> create one?

That's a normal situation. Your registry is stored in
~/.wine. Check out all the *.reg files there. The Wine
dlls are in the lib directory (/usr/local/lib by
default) and there is no mentioning of the dlls in the
fake Windows directories.

If you want to move registry between Windows and Wine,
use Windows and Wine regedit applications to
import/export necessary parts of the registry.
programs/regapi Wine tool can help you with finding
out what registry changes are done by programs
installation. See README file in programs/regapi
directory.

> I'm asking because I can't get any
> installshield programs
> to run and installshield always seem to require a
> registry to work.

Wine has by default a pretty good configuration.
Recent installshield installer are known to use some
not implemented yet Windows API calls. What exactly
problems do you have? Probably it has nothing to do
with registry.

Andriy

Boston, MA, USA