Openglide

Jesco Topp jesco.topp at gmx.de
Wed Aug 28 10:16:16 CDT 2002

Sorry to eventually piss you off, but what do you mean by OpenGlide,
exactly? As far as I know, there's Glide, the API invented by 3Dfx and
only useable on 3Dfx-Cards (Voodoo series), there's OpenGL, started by
SGI and now developed by an industry-ARB, and Direct3D, invented by
Microsoft.

Glide has been supported on Linux systems for a long time. OpenGL as
well (although OpenGL hasn't been OpenSourced, Linux uses a clone of
OpenGL called MesaGL). Direct3D is Win32-only, although Wine(X) is
making progress on it.

If you really mean Glide when using the term OpenGlide, then yes, games
should run under Wine. Although nowadays nobody uses Glide anymore. And
as for you stating that ATI and nVidia call it OpenGlide you should
probably know that Glide games don't run on neither ATI's nor nVidia's
cards. So why should they mention it on their site. But I'm open for
your corrections. Maybe posting a link could enlight me :)

If you mean OpenGL, then yes, such games should run as well.

- Jesco