Need help installing some software

Anthony Joseph Seward anthony.seward at ieee.org
Mon Dec 9 19:32:42 CST 2002

On Mon, 2002-12-09 at 17:40, Duane Clark wrote:
<snip>
> Ouch, the Sentinel driver. I am assuming you are also going to need to
> run some additional licensing software such as Flexlm? I think you are
> going to have major headaches trying to get that running in Linux/Wine.
>
> Unfortunately, I keep an old machine stuck in a corner around here
> running WinNT and a Sentinel/Flexlm license server, which is the only
> thing I use it for.

I don't think that it uses Flexlm (the software in question is ZEMAX
http://www.zemax.com/).  In any case I have already had major headaches.

<snip>

> My understanding is that anything that attempts to talk directly to
> hardware is a problem, because Linux does not allow user programs to
> talk directly to hardware. Then again, I could be way off there.

I'm trying to use a USB key.  I'm hoping that this will decrease the
chance that the driver does things not-approved of by the Windows API.

> > I may not have things set up quite correctly for the CVS version because
> > I seem to get farther with the transgaming version.  With the
> > transgaming version I get to a place where it thinks I should have
> > administrative rights and thinks that I do not.  I would prefer to use
> > the CVS version since Red Hat tracks this.
> >
> > OK, with the CVS version on Red Hat 8.0 and using the MSI version of the
> > installer, I get an error box from Install Shield saying '1611: Unable
> > to extract the file (null).'
>
> I get exactly the same error box when running the installer. So I think
> you likely have Wine setup correctly. I notice that the error box occurs
> immediately after:

> trace:file:ReadFile 0x48 0x417f8130 1024 0x4058f2d0 (nil)
> trace:file:WriteFile 0x4c 0x417f8130 1024 0x4058f2d0 (nil)
> trace:file:ReadFile 0x48 0x417f8130 420 0x4058f2d0 (nil)
> trace:file:WriteFile 0x4c 0x417f8130 420 0x4058f2d0 (nil)
> fixme:cabinet:FDICreate (0x402fc4, 0x410a02, 0x4030ac, 0x402fcf,
> 0x40300c, 0x403052, 0x403079, 1, 0x4058fb30): stub
> err:dc:DCE_FreeWindowDCE [0x6002f] GetDC() without ReleaseDC()!
>
> The rest of the trace is cleanup before the installer exits. And it has
> in fact written out the installer files:
> # ll /c/TEMP/_is33d9/
> total 1172
> drwxrwxr-x    2 dclark   dclark       4096 Dec  9 16:22 ./
> drwxrwxr-x    4 dclark   dclark       4096 Dec  9 16:22 ../
> -rw-rw-r--    1 dclark   dclark       3494 Dec  9 16:22 0x0409.ini
> -rw-rw-r--    1 dclark   dclark    1174948 Dec  9 16:22 Sentinel System
> Driver 5.41.0 (32-bit).msi
> -rw-rw-r--    1 dclark   dclark        953 Dec  9 16:22 Setup.INI
> -rw-rw-r--    1 dclark   dclark        190 Dec  9 16:22 _ISMSIDEL.INI
>
> The 1145 repetitions of ReadFile/WriteFile are creating the
> Sentinal*.msi file, and it is created correctly.
>
> So that particular problem should be able to be debugged pretty easily.
> As a wild guess, I would not be surprised if having things like
> parentheses in a filename caused problems for Wine. I'll take a look at
> it over the next few days. Unfortunately, I am not so hopeful about
> getting Sentinel to work, but hopefully some other folks will comment on
> that. My Sentinel device is a parallel port key.

Thanks for the help.  You might have a look at the code in transgaming's
version.  When I use that I can install the VxD driver with no
problems.  When I try and install the NT driver it says that I need
administrator privileges and exits.

Tony
--
Anthony Joseph Seward <anthony.seward at ieee.org>