Wine Install Question - "Registry install failed."

Tony Lambregts tony_lambregts at telusplanet.net
Tue Dec 17 16:22:23 CST 2002

Mark Knecht wrote:

>Hello,
>   First message here. I've run Wine just a little bit on another machine,
>but am running Quicken 2001 Deluxe happily. (Or almost so...)
>
>   I'm attempting to set a new version of Wine up in the office in an
>attempt to move some of us here away from Windows, or at least try to. I've
>installed a 12/17/02 CVS download in /source/wine and built it using
>./tools/wineinstall.
>
>   At the end of the install it then goes to build my user directories, but
>appears to fail at the very end. Is this message normal? ("Registry install
>failed.") That looks a little serious. Possibly I've missed some
>installation instructions. /mnt/fd0 and /cdrom are not standard directories
>under Redhat 7.3, but I could create them and appropriate fstab entries if
>required. However, maybe there's some configuration file somewhere to fine
>tune that before I run wineinstall?
>
>   Anyway, I hope someone can shed a bit of light on what I'm doing wrong.
>
>Thanks,
>Mark
>
><SNIP>
>Where would you like your fake C drive to be placed?
>(default is /home/mark/c)
>Configuring Wine for a no-windows install in /home/mark/c...
>
>Created /home/mark/.wine/config using default Wine configuration.
>You probably want to review the file, though.
>
>Compiling regedit...
>make: Nothing to be done for `all'.
>
>Preparing to install default Wine registry entries...
>Installing default Wine registry entries...
>
>Could not stat /mnt/fd0 (No such file or directory), ignoring drive A:
>Could not stat /cdrom (No such file or directory), ignoring drive D:
>Warning: could not find wine config [Drive x] entry for current working
>directory /source/wine; starting in windows directory.
>/source/wine/miscemu/wine: cannot find 'programs/regedit/regedit.exe.so'
>Registry install failed.

You are doing a no windows install. and that portion of wineinstall
still needs more work.

The first problem is the registry one,  that is; for whatever reason
wineinstall kind of expects that the wine tree is in the users home
directory. (at least it works when it located there) This is wrong and
we should not expect the wine tree to be in one predefined spot.

The second problem is that the floppy and cdrom are not configured
properly (or the defaults are not correct for RedHat ).

Anyway neither of these bug is too big a problem to get around. The
solution is  for the drives is to edit the [drives] section of the
~/.wine/config file so that the flopp points to /mnt/floppy instead of
/mnt/fd0 and the CD points to /mnt/cdrom instead of /cdrom

The work around for setting up the registry is to define a drive (I use
x) where the wine root is located so and run "regedit winedefault.reg"
in the wine root. Once again I stess that this is a workaround and not a
proper fix.

In the end your drives section should look like this.

[Drive A]
"Path" = "/mnt/floppy"
"Type" = "floppy"
"Label" = "Floppy"
"Filesystem" = "win95"
"Serial" = "87654321"
"Device" = "/dev/fd0"

[Drive C]
"Path" = "/home/mark/c"
"Type" = "hd"
"Label" = "MS-DOS"
"Filesystem" = "win95"

[Drive D]
"Path" = "/mnt/cdrom"
"Type" = "cdrom"
"Label" = "CD-Rom"
"Filesystem" = "win95"
; make sure that device is correct and has proper permissions !
"Device" = "/dev/cdrom"

[Drive E]
"Path" = "/tmp"
"Type" = "hd"