wcmd - continued font problems

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Mon Dec 30 11:44:01 CST 2002

Tony, et. all,
   Hi. Happy Holidays.

   I'm still struggling along with getting Wine to really run on an
important audio machine. I have run Wine now on 3 machines:

1) An older Redhat 7.0 machine running Gnome
2) An up-to date Redhat 7.3 machine running KDE used for office type
applications
3) An up to date Redhat 7.3 machine running KDE used for Pro Audio
applications

   The results running wcmd are:

Machine 1) wcmd runs with no error messages

Machine 2) wcmd runs, but gives the following messages:

[mark at hindemith mark]$ wcmd
err:wineconsole:WCUSER_SetFont wrong font
err:wineconsole:WCUSER_SetFont wrong font
[mark at hindemith mark]$

Machine 3) wcmd fails to run with the error messages:

[mark at Godzilla mark]$ wcmd
err:wineconsole:WINECON_Fatal Couldn't find a decent font, aborting

[mark at Godzilla mark]$

   So, to some extent it looks like it's possible to set up RH7.3 using KDE
and get Wine to run wcmd. I need to get Wine running on Machine #3, and am
studying the differences between machines #2 & #3, but haven't discovered
what matters yet.

   Wine actually does run on machine #3, but fails to install many
applications due to font problems. The only response I got from the
developers was to try installing more fixed sized fonts. This is too vague
for a putz like me to execute successfully, and besides, I don't like
guessing!

   Has anyone else run into these error messages in recent history? If so,
how have you solved your problems?

Thanks in advance,
Mark