Java Swing App

David B. Ritch dritch at hpti.com
Mon Dec 30 21:17:08 CST 2002

I'm rather new to Wine, and I'm trying to run a Java Swing application.
I'm having trouble with it.  Has anyone else gotten Swing-based apps to
run?

I have a test case, basically a swing "hello world" app, and I haven't
been able to get it to work either.  Here's what happens when I try to
compile it:

[dritch at twitch wine]$ wine -- c:/jdk1.3/bin/javac -g -d "."
"HelloWorldSwing.java"
wine: Unhandled exception, starting debugger...
X Error of failed request:  BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  15 (X_QueryTree)
  Resource id in failed request:  0x3a00001
  Serial number of failed request:  67
Terminated
[dritch at twitch wine]$

When I compile it natively under linux and try to run it with wine, I
get the same result.

Here is the application, itself:

import javax.swing.*;

public class HelloWorldSwing {
        JFrame frame = new JFrame("HelloWorldSwing");
        final JLabel label = new JLabel("Hello World");
        frame.getContentPane().add(label);

        frame.pack();
        frame.setVisible(true);
    }
}

I'm running RedHat-7.3, with all the latest updates, Gnome-2, and a
2.4.20 kernel.  I'm using a recent CVS of wine, Dec 23, I think,
compiled with OpenGL support.

Any suggestions of how to make this work, or how to diagnose it further?

Thanks!

dbr
--
David B. Ritch