The Sims

Dave Jones dajones at purdue.edu
Tue Feb 26 01:08:44 CST 2002

> I have a copy of the Sims installed on a Win2k FAT32 partition.  I know
> for a fact that The Sims works under Wine (Mandrake's "Gamer" edition),

You know wrong. The Sims doesnt work under wine due to some wierdness by
mixing 3d and 2d directx calls, if you were somehow to get it to run, then
a lot of textures won't show up.

Transgaming (who makes WineX, which drives the 'mandrake gamer edition')
wanted a flagship product to attract new gamers, and at the time 'the
sims' has sold more copies than any other game last year, and since it
didnt work quite right, TG paid Maxis for the rights to modify and
redistribute its own implementation. From what I know, most of the changes
are just repackaged images in a more SDL-friendly format.

The Sims will only work with wine if you have the special Transgaming
version cd-rom, only currently available bundled with the 'mandrake gamer
edition' available at mandrakesoft.com or your local computer retailer
(Best Buy, Fry's, CompUSA, Circuit City) for about $60

Dave Jones - dajones at purdue.edu