Problems running HL with todays wine snapshot

James Bailey a at a.com
Tue Feb 26 08:50:01 CST 2002

On Fri, 22 Feb 2002 22:42:21 GMT
necro <necro at chello.at> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried to get HL running with Wine, but some problems occured:
>
> With fresh HL-Installation it keeps asking me for the HL-CD even if I
> mounted it correctly. Drive setup of wine is correct (isn't complaining
> about a missing drive)
>
> I read that installing 1.1.0.8 helps, so I did, but with this patch HL is
> not even starting, errormsg is
>
> There may be more fonts available - try increasing the value of MAX_FONTS
> fixme:font:GetCharABCWidthsW (0864,0000,00ff,0x41875518), returns slightly bogus values.
> fixme:font:GetCharABCWidthsW (086c,0000,00ff,0x418765a0), returns slightly bogus values.
> fixme:font:GetCharABCWidthsW (0874,0000,00ff,0x41877628), returns slightly bogus values.
> wine: Unhandled exception, starting debugger...
> err:seh:start_debugger Couldn't start debugger ("debugger/winedbg 134657160 92") (2)
> Read the Wine Developers Guide on how to set up winedbg or another debugger
> err:win32:_EnterSysLevel (0x407bbcf8, level 2): Holding 0x4085a4a4, level 3. Expect deadlock!
> err:win32:_EnterSysLevel (0x407bbcf8, level 2): Holding 0x4085a4a4, level 3. Expect deadlock!
>
> is starting with wine hl.exe
>
> Because of all those success stories it's propably a minor mistake I myself
> made, anyone has an idea?
>
> tia & greetings
> Nec

Well, if it makes you feel any better you are not the only one. I have been trying to get 1.1.0.8 running for many days now, with no luck. The thing is, I get this problem if I use the latest snap-shots, tarballs from May last year, and even most prebuilt packages.

I have had lhl running before without any of these problems, so something has changed in the last year, and I have no idea what.

One of the precompiled packages, from dataparty, does not show this problem, but because of being linked statically with Mesa, has problems with opengl on nvidia boards. But then this might be the reason it runs at all.

Anyway, for those who might be able to spot the problem, my system is:

NVidia GeForce2 based card : maybe a prob. with latest drivers?
Thunderbird CPU
Plenty of memory
Mandrake 8.1
gcc 2.96 : I have heard bad things about this psuedo hack/version of gcc

Thanks for any help anyone can give necro and I with this,

dgym