theoretical question

PColbourn at argus.net.au PColbourn at argus.net.au
Thu Feb 28 20:55:09 CST 2002

but if windows setup.exe is just a Win32 API program, then 'theoretically'
wine should be able to run it, and hence install windows under wine.

Phil

phrostie <pfrostie at yahoo.com>
Sent by: wine-users-admin at winehq.com
01/03/2002 11:46
Please respond to wine-users

        To:     wine-users at winehq.com
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: theoretical question

more than likely what you are thinking of is a virtual machine, like
VMWare
or Plex86.  yes it can be done, but it is not wine.

wine is an emplimentation of the Win32 api on x86unix.

it's like having a wine32 api running on dos only better.
:-)

> i have heard some stories from some people who claim to have been able
> set up a partition in linux and install win98 via wine and then having
it
> fire up. i know wine isnt designed for this purpose but apparantly it
has
> been done....who knows, maybe someone is pulling my leg.
>
> i'm just wondering if there is anyone out there who has pulled this off
and
> if so how did they go about doing it. i tried it by trying to set up a
fake
> windows directory....ie /usr/win98 the copying the win98 cab files to
this
> location and configuring  an appropriate wine.conf file. however i wasnt
> able to get past the initial win98 intro screen.
>
> btw my partition was an ext3 filesystem or does /usr/win98 have to be a
fat
> partition??...the guts of my config file is as follows...and im usuing
> redhat 7.2 with the latest wine 7.2 rpm
>
> it's no big deal.....but it be cool to stick it up some obnoxious
windows
> users by having their pathetic little operating system running on my
linux
> desktop for show :P
>

> [Drive A]
> "Path" = "/mnt/floppy"
> "Type" = "floppy"
> "Label" = "Floppy"
> "Serial" = "87654321"
> "Device" = "/dev/fd0"
>
> [Drive C]
> "Path" = "/usr/src/win98"
> "Type" = "hd"
> "Label" = "WIN98"
> "Filesystem" = "win95"
>
> [Drive D]
> "Path" = "/mnt/cdrom"
> "Type" = "cdrom"
> "Label" = "CD-Rom"
> "Filesystem" = "win95"
> "Device" = "/dev/cdrom"
>
> [Drive E]
> "Path" = "/tmp"
> "Type" = "hd"
> "Label" = "Tmp Drive"
> "Filesystem" = "win95"
>
> [Drive F]
> "Path" = "${HOME}"
> "Type" = "network"
> "Label" = "Home"
> "Filesystem" = "win95"
>
> [Drive Z]
> "Path" = "/"
> "Type" = "network"
> "Label" = "Root"
> "Filesystem" = "win95"
>
> [wine]
> "Windows" = "c:\\windows"
> "System" = "c:\\windows\\system"
> "Temp" = "c:\\windows\\temp"
> "Path" = "c:\\windows;c:\\windows\\system;c:\\windows\\temp;"
> ;"Profile" = "c:\\windows\\Profiles\\Administrator"
> "GraphicsDriver" = "x11drv"
> "ShellLinker" = "wineshelllink"
>

> ------------ And now a word from our sponsor ------------------
> Want to have instant messaging, and chat rooms, and discussion
> [...]

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of DOS,
http://www.freelists.org/list/cad-linux