Directsound deadlocks

Sherwood sherwood at example.net
Thu Jan 3 12:11:30 CST 2002

Yesterday I've tried to get Diablo II working under Wine (Codeweavers
preview version), and it constantly crashed (or better, seemed to get
stuck in a deadlock) during startup. It was during a DirectSound
SetCooperativeLevel call, and the console kept saying 'timed out.
waiting 60 secs'.

Now, I'm using ALSA with OSS emulation (through the snd-pcm-oss kernel
module) and a SBLive card, so I just unloaded all sound modules from the
kernel, restarted Diablo, and it worked perfect, without sound.

I've also tried this with another simple DirectX game, same thing, locks
up with sound, works fine without. Tried the WineX CVS code, but that
gave me nothing but 'Expect Deadlock!' and 'Cannot handle exception'
messages, which I haven't looked into any further.

My question is, is this somehow kernel-related, alsa-related, or
Wine-OSS related? Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated

Tnx in advance
Robin