does wine honor smb files

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Sun Jan 6 17:28:35 CST 2002

On Sun, 6 Jan 2002, pbanks wrote:

> Putting on my asbestos flame suit ;)
>
> All of my windows programs are on another pc and are only available over
> the network via smb (samba).
> The "C" drive is mounted in fstab like this:
> //p500/c /p500-c smbfs guest,rw
>
> Can the wine.config file be modified to point to the appropriate windows
> directories on the other system?

Unless I totally misunderstand samba and it is totally unlike nfs, that
mounts your "C" drive on the linux file system at /p500-c.  So FI you
can do "ls /p500-c/windows/system" and see a bunch of windows dlls, no?
If you want wine to think of /p500-c as "C:", can you not simply tell it
so?

[Drive C]
"Path" = "/p500-c"
"Type" = "network"
"Label" = "p500-c"
"Filesystem" = "win95"

Of course,

[wine]
"Windows" = "C:\\windows"
"System" = "C:\\windows\\system"

Those should be spelled the same way as they appear on the linux system,
except we use C: for /p500-c and \\ for /.

AFAICT, any directory you can get at with the linux vfs, you can give to
wine to use as a windows drive.  Even umsdos, in case you are
suffering from zipslack.  I've used nfs mounts from another linux
system, but I don't have any windows boxen, so I can't get very
interested in samba.

> I have tried several things, none of which have worked.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Paul

Lawson