Missing XPM

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Wed Jan 16 22:21:38 CST 2002

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, David wrote:

> >>    rm config.cache
> >>    make distclean
> >>    ./compile --enable-opengl

This is ^^^^^^^^^ a typo isn't it?

> > Before you re-configure and build, \rm config.cache - then try it
>
> No, sorry. I *did* that.
>
> The problem was that I followed the instructions too literally:
>
> >   Configure finished.  Do 'make depend && make' to compile Wine.
>
> and left off the 'make install' bit. Runs just fine now.
>
> It would *really* help if the instructions in the "Compiling Wine" chapter
> actually told how to compile Wine in some level of detail. As it currently
> stands, it's worthless for newbies like me.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -- David Cuny

Sorry, I guess we don't expect newbies to be able to read .sgml, or find
<wine>/documentation.  "Compiling Wine" is for those who know in general
how to compile a package, but have problems with Wine.  It's not nice of
me, but sometimes I like to rub someone's nose in <wine>/ANNOUNCE:

"
This is release 20011226 of Wine, a free implementation of Windows on
Unix.  This is still a developers only release.  There are many bugs
and unimplemented features.  Most applications still do not work
correctly.

See the README file in the distribution for installation instructions.
"

As a software developer, you are expected to know that, but we tell you
anyway.  When dealing with a new software package, look for doco files
at the top level of the source tree, typically named README or INSTALL
and read them through before proceeding.  That is where software
developers tend to put doco they think is essential.

<wine>/README

"...
5. SETUP

Once Wine has been built correctly, you can do "make install"; this
will install the wine executable, the Wine man page, and a few other
needed files.

Don't forget to uninstall any conflicting previous Wine installation
first.  Try either "dpkg -r wine" or "rpm -e wine" or "make uninstall"
before installing.
"

Actually, I am glad you got it working.  I hope maybe this little rant
will help you with some other package, or help some other Wine newbie.
Maybe you can see a way to improve the doco.  Instructions for
submitting patches are in <wine>/ANNOUNCE and <wine>/README, and you
sort of have to read both through, and "man diff", and "man patch" a few
times to get the hang of it.

Lawson
---oof---