Office XP? Windows XP dlls? mIRClocked up.

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Mon Jan 28 21:00:41 CST 2002

On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Joseph R. Hoot wrote:

> I've read through some archives on the users mailing list and found some
> answers to getting Wine 20020122 going.  I didn't have to change much
> with the default way tools/wineinstall.  Here's my questions
>
> 1) Does Wine run programs that live in a native Windows XP vfat
> partition using the native dlls?

Wine _cannot_ use native dll's for anything important
(kernel/ntdll/gdi/user).  It will _try_ to use those native  dll's the
Wine Administrator tells it to use in $WINEPREFIX/.config
[DllOverrides].  IMO this is reasonable:

[DllOverrides]
"msvcrt"       = "native, builtin, so"
"*"            = "builtin, so, native"

You will probably not have much success with XP native dll's, but YMMV.
With Windows, newer is nastier.  Nasty is just what they do.

Wine does not give a squirrel's tush if you have an XP native partition
or not.  It is just another branch in the linux virtual filesystem tree
to Wine, which is after all just a big hairy *NIX application program
and library.

> Thanks in advance,
> Joe Hoot

Lawson