Wine and damage of original MS Windows

Petr Mladek pmladek at suse.cz
Tue Jan 29 02:51:13 CST 2002

Hello,

I want to protect original MS Windows installed on their partition
against wine :)

I have not own experiences with similar problems but I fount next
message in README:

----
You should backup all your important files that you give Wine access
to, or use a special Wine copy of them, as there have been some cases
of users reporting file corruption. Do NOT run Explorer, for instance,
if you don't have a proper backup, as it renames/cripples several
directories sometimes. Not even other MS apps such as e.g. Messenger are safe,
as they launch Explorer somehow. This particular corruption (!$!$!$!$.pfr)
can at least partially be fixed by using
http://home.nexgo.de/andi.mohr/download/decorrupt_explorer"
----

Do you have any idea how to protect original Windows without backup?
Or is the backup the only solution in this time?

Thanks for hints,

Petr