Dead Keys Solution (although temporary)

Björn Róbertsson bjornr at nyherji.is
Wed Jan 30 10:11:01 CST 2002

Hi,

I require dead keys to be "productive" with Linux and I require Lotus
Notes to communicate...

I've installed Lotus Notes 5.0.8 (All Clients), successfully.
Created a link in "C:\Program Files\Netscape\Communicator\netscape.exe"
which in turn points to /usr/bin/netscape which runs Netscape 6.2.1 from
/usr/local/netscape/netscape... This allows the hyperlinks to work
properly from within Lotus Notes, after telling Notes what to run...

The dead keys however do not work. I've read over a debug log and see
it's being put into some buffer... but nothing! So I've come up with my
own solution, which allows me to write properly whatever character I
want under wine.

I've created a modmap file (called modmap) and I activate it running
"xmodmap modmap" after login. If you're lucky you can place it into
~/.Xmodmap and it will activate automatically...

It contains:
keycode  51 = plus asterisk grave dead_breve
keycode  38 = a A aacute Aacute
keycode  26 = e E eacute Eacute
keycode  29 = y Y yacute Yacute
keycode  30 = u U uacute Uacute
keycode  31 = i I iacute Iacute
keycode  32 = o O oacute Oacute

Which is very proper for the Icelandic keyboard but you should get the
drift. Several modmaps are included with my distribution (Mandrake 8.1)
under /usr/share/xmodmap, from which you can get the correct scancodes
for whatever keyboard and the correct names to put in the modmap file.

Hope this helps some people enjoy Linux and wine better!

Bjorn Robertsson
bjornr at nyherji.is