console program running in X

David Vos dvos12 at calvin.edu
Wed Jul 3 14:57:05 CDT 2002

I have a console program that I wrote that uses a few MS dll's.  (Hence
why I couldn't do the program in Linux in the first place).  I have the
program running nicely in wine.  However, wine is convinced that my
program is a gui program.  It runs under windows in a dos console just
fine, and it runs in wineconsole just fine.  However, I need the program
to be run in cron jobs and be able to access what the program outputs to
stdout.  I can do this if I run the program under X.  The only
semi-solution I've come up with so far is to use the virtual frame buffer,
but that makes wine spit out a bunch of errors about fonts and such.

Using ttydev makes my program crash, for some reason.

I've tried stripping out code for my program, but it seems that when I add
Microsoft's code to talk to the dll, wine thinks the program needs to be
run under X.  I've tried, and really don't think I can rewrite the program
to get around this problem.

Any ideas?

David