How much can you do without native windows?

Andriy Palamarchuk apa3a at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 4 10:07:06 CDT 2002

--- "Stevens, Julian C" <julian.stevens at amsjv.com>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running Mandrake 8.0 and I'd like to be able to
> run some windows
> applications without using windows at all.
>
> I suppose the main thing that stops me ditching
> windows completely is my
> children not being able to run their various games
> and educational software (e.
> g. Dorling Kindersley CDROMs "Eyewitness
> Encyclopedia of Science", "Eyewitness
> History of the World" etc.).
>
> I've trawled through the archives and the
> codeweavers wine applications
> database, but people don't often say whether they
> are runnning with or without
> windows dlls.
> Could someone give me some indication of what can be
> run, either with no
> native dlls or with native dlls that do not require
> a windows license (if
> there are any).

I guess the easiest way to get information about this
is to try to run the applicaitions without Windows
dlls and ask for help/report bugs/fix bugs if you come
across any issues :-)

As far as I understand you need Windows license to use
any Windows dlls and there is no replacements for
them.
The goal of the project is to run Windows applications
without Windows dlls what it successfully does in many
cases.

One more option for you is to try commercial Wine
distribution.

Andriy