win32 console cli emulation

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Fri Jun 14 09:42:21 CDT 2002

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Tony Lambregts wrote:

> Chris wrote:
>
> >Greetings,
> >
> >	I am a new wine user, and im hoping you could let me know if what I want to
> >do is possible with wine.
> >
> >I have a win32 console application (I would assume since it does not run in
> >DOS mode). This application will read in a text file, find what its looking
> >for, process it, and creates another file(s) from that (just to give you an
> >idea of what the program does). What I would like to do is use wine to do
> >the win32 console emulation, but I will not be running XWindows or have
> >windows installed on another partition (I only have room on my second HD and
> >the windows 98 setup wants it on the primary, any suggestions?)  Is this
> >feasible using wine? I have searched the web and the wine docs but could not
> >find a reasonable answer. Please keep in mind that I am brand new to wine
> >and as much info/pointers/web site's would be GREATLY appreciated.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >- Chris

Wine absolutely does not, not, not, require any Windows partition or
filesystem.  A Windows "drive" can be a directory in a native Linux or
other *NIX filesystem.  See <wine>/documentation/installing.sgml, the
section on installing without windows.  A little long in the tooth, but
might help.  Feel free to use this nasty little program to read the
sgml:

#!/bin/sh
#<wine>/documentation/*.sgml reader (c) 2000- Lawson Whitney
# Use, distribute, or change at your own risk.
sed -e 's/<[^<>]*>//g' -e 's/&lt;/</g' -e 's/&gt;/>/g' $1 |less -ni

Lawson