BadAlloc on certain X servers
dclark at akamail.com
Fri Jun 14 10:46:45 CDT 2002
Ole Wolf wrote:
> I tried to post this to comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine, but there were
> no replies. I realize this is partly covered on the Codeweavers web
> site, but I'm not sure whether the discussions there apply to my
> problem, and I wasn't able to find a solution by Googleing around
> either. So here it goes. I'll start with a little explanation, but it
> may be possible to just skip down to the "***" marked section.
> When I start Wine on my RedHat 7.3 machine running XFree86, Wine works
> fine. On the first run, it makes a few complaints about certain fonts
> not working correctly, but on subsequent runs it doesn't complain and
> Windows applications seem to be working as expected.
If you set up wine for "client side" rendering, then it does not use
xfs, there is no cache, and I think these problems might go away. RH7.3
has all the support, which basically is a very recent version of
libXrender, and you also need a current (post april) version of wine.
To get wine to use client side rendering, it just needs a directory
C:\windows\fonts with a bunch of TT fonts in it. I suspect there is a
way to tell wine to look at another directory, but I don't know what
that is. You can get these fonts from a real windows install. Or
download a bunch from here:
More information about the wine-users