DPLAY Internet issue with Wine (FOLLOWUP)

Ron Hale-Evans rwhe at ludism.org
Fri Mar 1 14:15:00 CST 2002

Eric Pouech <eric.pouech at wanadoo.fr> wrote in message news:<3C7C7D31.B03B49CD at wanadoo.fr>...
> > Could someone point me in the right direction, please?  Is this
> > in fact a Windows problem?  Do I need to register service providers
> > somehow?
>
> the OLE error should be looked at. does someone know which object it is
> ?
> regarding the mci part, rerun with -debugmsg +mci and send me the output
> A+

OK, Eric, thanks for taking care of the MCI problems.  The main
problem remains: I cannot connect to the Internet with the game
(Zillions of Games).

The following post discusses a similar Wine problem ("Unable to
initialize network provider") with Starcraft, and suggests that
a workaround is to run the game as root.  Much as I dislike this
for security reasons, I tried it anyway, but even when running
Zillions as root, I still could not connect.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&selm=pan.2001.12.03.01.48.36.468612.20196%40nobody.com

Any other suggestions from the Wine community?  TIA.