SMLNJ Installation

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Wed Mar 13 20:09:58 CST 2002

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, Jared Davis wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to get a piece of windows software named HATS to run under Wine.
> HATS is a very advanced program transformation system and it would be really
> great to be able to use it under Linux.
>
> I have managed to get the HATS installer to run just fine, but have been
> unable to get the windows version of SML (which HATS requires) to install.
>
> If anyone wants to try installing it themselves, the windows installer is
> about 5 megs and can be downloaded from:
> 	http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/what/smlnj/dist/smlnj.exe
>
> When I try to run the install program, the first dialog window comes up
> alright but I do get several warning messages:
>
> fixme:richedit:RICHED32_WindowProc Unknown message 129
> fixme:richedit:RICHED32_WindowProc Unknown message 528
> fixme:richedit:RICHED32_WindowProc Unknown message 48
> fixme:richedit:RICHED32_WindowProc Unknown message 135
> fixme:richedit:RICHED32_WindowProc Unknown message 312
> fixme:richedit:RICHED32_WindowProc Unknown message 312

Try with native riched32.dll of whatever winver the app expects to run
with?  richedit is very sparsely implemented in Wine - probably because
none of us knows what it is 'spoze to do - so apps that use it likely
need the native dll.  Not only must it be present in windows/system, you
must set the load order in ~/.wine/config or on the command line:

[DllOverrides]
"msvcrt"       = "native, builtin, so"
"riched32"     = "native"
"*"            = "builtin, so, native"

or

wine --dll riched32=n ...

> I can hit "next" at this point, and the dialog seems to start to display the
> next window, but then I get a lot of messages and it crashes:
>
> fixme:richedit:RICHED32_WindowProc Unknown message 130
> fixme:ole:CoSetState (0x653b3758),stub!
> fixme:ole:CoSetState (0x653b3758),stub!
> fixme:ole:CoSetState ((nil)),stub!
> fixme:ole:CoSetState (0x653b3758),stub!
> wine: Unhandled exception, starting debugger...
> Warning: /usr/local/bin/winedbg.exe not accessible from a configured DOS drive
> Warning: /usr/local/bin/winedbg not accessible from a configured DOS drive
> Warning: /usr/local/bin/winedbg 134919840.exe not accessible from a
> configured DOS drive
> Warning: /usr/local/bin/winedbg 134919840 not accessible from a configured
> DOS drive
> Warning: /usr/local/bin/winedbg 134919840 72.exe not accessible from a
> configured DOS drive
> Warning: /usr/local/bin/winedbg 134919840 72 not accessible from a configured
> DOS drive
> err:seh:start_debugger Couldn't start debugger ("/usr/local/bin/winedbg
> 134919840 72") (2)
> Read the Wine Developers Guide on how to set up winedbg or another debugger

[Drive G]
"Path" = "/usr/local/bin"
"Type" = "network"
"Label" = "Homely"
"Filesystem" = "win95"

This is an example only.  Use a drive letter that is unique in your
config.

> Is there anything that I could do that would maybe fix the problem?  I have
> access to windows machines of all varieties so if I need to get dll files
> from them, I can do that.
>
> Thanks,
>
> 	Jared

Lawson