Problem compiling wine with latest cvs

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Sun Mar 31 18:21:34 CST 2002

On Sun, 31 Mar 2002, Tony Lambregts wrote:

> I can't get recent cvs versions to compile. After running cvs update -PAd and
> ./tools/installwine I get these messages
>
> gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11
> make[2]: *** [ordinal.o] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/wine/dlls/shlwapi'
> make[1]: *** [shlwapi/shlwapi.dll.so] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/wine/dlls'
> make: *** [dlls] Error 2
>
> Compilation failed, aborting install.
>
> At first I thought it might be something wrong with my system so I backed out
> cvs to March 1st 2002 and everything works. I am not the only one who seems to
> be haveing problems with compiling recent cvs's. This morning someone named Bob
>  reported this.

> I've noticed that wine-users at winehq.com is no longer a gateway to
> comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine and I know at least Lawson might be able to
> shed some light on this.
>
> I've attached a log of .\tools\wineinstall if anyone is interested.
>
> Tony Lambregts

Me?  I just use gcc-2.95.3, and I haven't had any trouble.  AFAICT I
haven't missed any patches.  A sig11 in gcc is either a compiler bug or
a hardware problem (building wine is about the toughest stress-test for
your hardware there is, and can find little intermittent problems
nothing else will notice).  Some versions of gcc-2.96 including ones
RedHat shipped did have bugs that Wine tends to provoke.
I don't see that shlwapi/ordinal.o (where wineinstall fell down on
you) has been touched since March 29, so maybe I did miss a patch.

You might find this interesting:

http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11/

If it is still there, it is about gcc and signal 11.

Lawson

Installation is performed in the reverse order of removal.
                    - British Leyland shop manual