Windows setup requires 486?

Dave Walton dwalton at acm.org
Fri Nov 1 23:09:29 CST 2002

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002 09:07:53 -0800
Duane Clark <dclark at akamail.com> wrote:

> You can't install Windows in Wine. You can install Windows on a separate
> partition and then use it in conjunction with Wine.

I was hoping to avoid all that, but I guess I can't.  So I swapped in a
spare drive and did a fresh install of Windows on it, then swapped back
and copied all the files onto my main drive.  What a pain.

> But first you probably should just try whatever apps you are
> interested in without bothering with Windows at all.

I'd definitely prefer that!  Unfortunately, I haven't had a lot of
success that way.  On the other hand, I haven't had much better luck WITH
Windows.  For example, I'll run setup for an app and get a black window
that goes away a moment later, and the terminal shows this:

  fixme:cdrom:CDROM_GetIdeInterface not implemented for BSD
  fixme:reg:GetSystemInfo not yet supported on this system
  wine: Unhandled exception, starting debugger...
  fixme:cdrom:CDROM_GetIdeInterface not implemented for BSD
  fixme:reg:GetSystemInfo not yet supported on this system
  file_set_error: Bad address
  Can't attach process 8076000: error 317
  Terminated

I don't know about you folks, but that doesn't mean much to me.
What's the problem, and how do I fix it?

Thanks,
Dave