nothing seems to work

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Mon Nov 18 16:53:07 CST 2002

Let's keep this on the list.

Vodka wrote:
> You are likely to have problems trying to use a bunch of WinXP DLLs and
>> stuff. Hmm... like those you mention ;) Much better to use a fake
>> windows file system. That has the added advantage that Wine won't mess
>> up your real Windows partition. You can copy over things like fonts from
>>  WinXP, but you probably should try to use as many builtin DLLs as
>> possible, though msvcrt from WinXP would probably be ok to use.
>>

> Yes, I realized that just now.  I copied all of my windows partition to my
> linux partition so I wouldnt have to mount it anymore.  It's mounted NTFS
> and its read only, so that's why wine was giving me errors probably.  I
> copied over all of my windows stuff to my linux parition and changed my
> config file.  The error message doesnt come up anymore (about the unknown
> inode), but most applications still dont seem to work.  Maybe im having
> high expectations.  So far I was able to install AIM and run it as well;
> all in wine.  That was pretty impressive.  However, Internet Explorer
> didn't work.  On winehq.com there is a screenshot of IE working...how can
> I get IE to work?

It would be better to not copy over the Windows partition, though I
realize that requires you to reinstall everything. But since you already
have it, I guess go ahead and use it for now.

You don't mention which version of IE. They differ quite a bit, and have
varying levels of success in wine. For a good general description of how
to get programs like IE to run in Wine, see Frank's Corner:
http://www.frankscorner.org/wine/

With IE6, I had to use several real Windows DLLs, and am using Win98
DLLs rather than WinXP versions. If you are using IE6, you can try this
entry in your ~/.wine/config file. By the way, Sylvain figured these out.

[AppDefaults\\iexplore.exe\\DllOverrides]
"comctl32" = "native" # for favorites
"commctrl" = "native"
"crypt32" = "native" # call to uninmplemented
"msvcrt20" = "native"
"msvcrt" = "native"
"oleaut32" = "native"# |
"ole32" = "native"   # |not necessary in order to run
"olepro32" = "native"# |
"rpcrt4" = "native"  # |
"shdocvw" = "native" # .101 PathRemoveBackslashW calls to undocumented
                      # in shlwapi and force IE to abort.
# "shell" = "native"   # }
# "shell32" = "native" # }
"shlwapi" = "native" # }} unimplemented funcs
"urlmon" = "native"  # }
"wininet" = "native" # }