Text shows as 'boxes' with XFree86 4.2

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Fri Oct 4 11:46:31 CDT 2002

Stephen Mollett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just upgraded from XFree86 4.1.0 to 4.2.1, and now all the text in
> applications run under Wine 20020904 shows as 'little boxes' instead of
> proper characters. I've tried recompiling Wine with the new X headers/libs,
> but it made no difference.
>
> Anyone got any ideas?

Do you maybe have only one or two TrueType fonts in c:\windows\Fonts?

If so, go to:
http://corefonts.sourceforge.net/
Download the fonts. You can also get fonts from an existing Windows
installation (which may violate the license... whatever). Put them in
the C:\windows\Fonts directory, and things hopefully will look good again.