Windows program detects debugger and quits

Peter Andersson kanelballe at softhome.net
Fri Oct 25 12:31:24 CDT 2002

Hiya!
Maybe this program checks the debugging processor registers
somehow?

Wine Gurus out there: Could this be the explanation?

The ptrace syscall which Wine uses,setup the process in debug mode
(thus using the debug registers). Probably some kind of copy
protection in the ACR program checks the debug registers somehow.

I believe wine is heavily dependent of the ptrace call (correct me if Im
wrong, Wine gurus),  for example for catching DOS interupts.
Unless there is a way to turn off ptrace calls in Wine, or you hack your
app to not do these checks, you wont be able to run your program.

//Peter