Question about running DVD Profiler

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Sat Sep 7 14:49:17 CDT 2002

Tom Williams wrote:
> Hi!  I'm compiling wine-20020904 at the time of this writing and I had a
> question about a problem I'm having running the DVD Profiler
> application:

> It tries to start and then dies with these errors:
>
> fixme:reg:RegNotifyChangeKeyValue (4c,1,5,50,1): stub
> fixme:file:DEVICE_Open Unknown/unsupported VxD SHRINK34.LDR. Try setting
> Windows version to 'nt40' or 'win31'.
> fixme:file:DEVICE_Open Unknown/unsupported VxD C:\WINDOWS\0002f7b.tmp.
> Try setting Windows version to 'nt40' or 'win31'.
> fixme:dialog:MSGBOX_OnInit task modal msgbox ! Not modal yet.

The problem is that Wine as a general rule doesn't support VXDs. As with
most "rules", there may be an occasional exception, but probably not in
this case. Some programs use VXDs when run under Win98 but not under
WinNT or Win31. So that is why the suggestion for trying those.

> Now, my question is this:  since I have a WIndows 98 installation that
> wine detected, should I change my Windows version in .wine/config to
> 'nt40' or 'win31', per the messages above?   I DID try setting the
> config to 'nt40' and that didn't help.  I'll see what wine-20020904
> does.

If it was still complaining about a VXD, then unfortunately, I think
that pretty much means you are hosed :-( Unless you have access to the
code for the VXD, and good coding skills ;)

> Is it "safe" to specify OTHER Windows versions that don't match the
> version Wine detects during its installation?

Generally, yes.