End Chinese Censorship at Yahoo!

Ambassador Incursio necores at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 30 07:10:11 CDT 2002

Dear Friends,

I read in a September 2002 edition of the Economist
Magazine that Yahoo! (www.yahoo.com) has signed an
agreement with the Chinese government to censor
searches on their web site for consumers in China.  I
am very disappointed in Yahoo! and hope you are too.

To let my distaste be known, I am writing Yahoo! and
closing my email accounts and un-subscribing from
Yahoo!-based mailing lists until I hear that Yahoo!
has agreed not to censor.  I urge you to do the same,
to forward this message, and to cc
end_chinese_censorship at yahoo.com.

I set up the account,
end_chinese_censorship at yahoo.com, after sending a
message to abuse at yahoo.com and getting no response.
Yahoo! is welcome to log into
end_chinese_censorship at yahoo.com and to use it to
communicate on this issue.  I urge you to send your
comments and concerns to this account so they know of
your dissatisfaction.

This will not be an easy task for me.  I have been a
faithful user of Yahoo! for many years now.  I have
three email accounts with them, manage four
email-lists on Yahoo and subscribe to well over 20
email-lists!  I hope that they will end their
censoring practices shortly so I can resume using
their services.  Aside from this distasteful act, I
think they are the best site on the internet.

The following are articles support this story and I
encourage you to do your own research as well.

Human Rights Watch:
You have to be a subscriber to read the Economist
on-line article at:
The following are resources offered by companies other
than Yahoo!  This list is not comprehensive, feel free
to make additions.

        Search engines
                Alta-Vista http://www.altavista.com/
                Google http://www.google.com
                Netscape http://www.netscape.com/

        On-line Yellow Pages;
                Alta-Vista http://www.altavista.com/
                Netscape http://www.netscape.com/
                your local phone company

        Free e-mail
                Netscape http://www.netscape.com
                Hotmail (if you don't mind selling out
to Microsoft) http://www.hotmail.com/
                Lycos http://www.lycos.com/

        Free mailing lists and listservs

        Instant messaging
                AOL Instant Messenger
                ICQ http://www.icq.com/

        Free web space
                Tripod http://www.tripod.com

                There are plenty of sites including
those above just look around.  Consider your local
newspaper as well.

Do you Yahoo!?