Excessive Swap with MSVC++ and Wine

Phil Thompson phil at river-bank.demon.co.uk
Sun Apr 27 08:51:22 CDT 2003

Prompted by Jonathan Grant's article I've been playing with running the MSVC++
command line tools under Wine. In particular I'm trying to compile and link a
large DLL - about 4M in size.

The problem is the amount of memory used by link.exe. At the moment, with 256M
of real memory and 1G of swap I quickly run out. Under Windows2000, on the
same machine, the link takes a long time (30mins - 1 hour) but does complete.

I am assuming that under Windows2000 (where I think I have less swap) link.exe
is eventually being denied additional resources and runs with what it's got.
Under wine it seems that all it's resource requests are granted until the
kernel kills the process when swap runs out.

Is there any way to get Wine to limit the resources it grants, but in a
graceful way that can be handled by the program being run?

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
Phil