wine takes minutes to open display

Esther Klabbers esther_klabbers at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 7 13:18:17 CDT 2003

I had wine working great for a while on my RH7.3 system, but then all of a sudden it wouldn't open
programs anymore. So I decided to uninstall wine, install a newer version (wine-20030709) and try
again. But still the same problem. I didn't get any error messages, everything seems to work, but
no display. I tried it with notepad, and ran wine --debugmsg +loaddll notepad.exe.so. At first I
got an error saying I probably had a buggy version of libXrender.so, so I upgraded it from 1.0 tot
1.1. Now I don't get any error messages at all. Finally, after minutes of waiting the program
opens.

Any idea what causes this and how I can fix it? I guess it's XFree86 and not wine, but I am
hesitant to mess with that.

Any help is appreciated.

Esther