ArcView 8.2 and wineboot

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Thu Aug 7 17:00:05 CDT 2003

jurvis lasalle wrote:
> could someone send me a url detailing how to use wineboot (i googled it
> but the first 40 hits were useless)?  i've run the installer to the
> point where it says i must reboot, then run 'wineboot', then nothing...
> i've tried so many things that you'd laugh til it hurt.  how do i get
> this installer to finish the job?

Wineboot does not provide any feedback (unfortunately). So the first
thing to do is check to see whether the installation finished and you
just didn't realize it. If not, perhaps after running wineboot, rerun
the installer again. If you are really lucky, it will pick up where you
left off and finish the installation.

If that doesn't work, then probably Wine needs to be fixed to run that
installer. About your only choice will be to install the app in a real
Windows machine, and then copy over the installed files. Hopefully
registry entries are already installed, or you might have a real hard
time getting it to work. Or start hacking on code and fixing Wine.

As an OT gripe, having to reboot at the end of an installation is bad
enough (nice design, MS). The folks writing Arcview should be whapped
upside the head if their installer requires a reboot in the middle of
the installation.