ArcView 8.2 and wineboot

Shachar Shemesh wine-users at shemesh.biz
Sat Aug 9 05:03:59 CDT 2003

Duane Clark wrote:

> jurvis lasalle wrote:
>
>> could someone send me a url detailing how to use wineboot (i googled
>> it but the first 40 hits were useless)?  i've run the installer to
>> the point where it says i must reboot, then run 'wineboot', then
>> nothing... i've tried so many things that you'd laugh til it hurt.
>> how do i get this installer to finish the job?
>

> Wineboot does not provide any feedback (unfortunately). So the first
> thing to do is check to see whether the installation finished and you
> just didn't realize it. If not, perhaps after running wineboot, rerun
> the installer again. If you are really lucky, it will pick up where
> you left off and finish the installation.

No, it (almost) doesn't. It was designed to be run automatically by Wine
when necessary, and thus the more messages the less correct. It was
designed, however, so that if it finishes (i.e. - the prompt returns),
it has done everything it was supposed to do.

> If that doesn't work, then probably Wine needs to be fixed to run that
> installer.

That may be the case. Jurivs, can you repeat the install from scratch,
but this time run wineboot with "--debugmsgs +wineboot", and send me the
output?

> As an OT gripe, having to reboot at the end of an installation is bad
> enough (nice design, MS). The folks writing Arcview should be whapped
> upside the head if their installer requires a reboot in the middle of
> the installation.

Because of the exact same design, this is also sometimes unavoidable.
Usually, however, you leave something behind to continue your install
after the reboot.

             Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh