can't get windows quake III arena to work with sound

Cedric fusion1997 at softhome.net
Wed Aug 20 03:05:17 CDT 2003

i've tried a view things to get windows quake III arena with sound working
None however seems to work, or even matter.
I know i can run a script  to report a bug with some debuginfo,
but i don't remember the name/place of the thing.

What i tried is this:
Upgrade to wine-20030813
removed Alsa, and recompiled the kernel with oss support:
-> mpg123 worked,q3 didn't
played with the multimediasection of the wine config
ditched the oss, and go back to alsa
-> mpg123 worked, 3q didn't
played some more with the configuration.
Downgraded to wine-200206xx
tried to play quake -> no sound no fullscreen
installed wine-20030813 again
.. and so on and so on.

The configuration file mentions at the verry bottom something about Q2
which is picky about sound. I guess Q3 is picky too.
can anybody tell me what the option does?

;[AppDefaults\\pickygame.exe\\dsound]
;"EmulDriver" = "N"

I searched the mailing list of the last 6 months, and haven't found any solutions there
Did I miss anything?

Regards,
cedric