Explanation of fixme:MSI Errors

Robert Shearman R.J.Shearman at warwick.ac.uk
Wed Aug 20 18:31:34 CDT 2003

Hi All,

I have seen a few messages on this list already about problems installing
Office 2000, but this will be relevant many other products that use MSI,
Microsoft's Installer. The symptoms will be Wine outputing one or more lines
starting with "fixme:msi".

Most of the installing work is done in a DLL called msi.dll and very
recently, limited support for MSI has been added to Wine. When I say
limited, I mean a *lot* of work on the fundamentals has been done, but it
won't install programs yet. I hope, in the future, that this will allow
people to install programs on their computer without having to lift dlls
from Windows installations.

To make MSI work for the moment you will have to run the program with the
flag "--dll msi=n", or put it in your config file. It is likely that you
will also need to set ole32, rpcrt4 and oleaut32 as native too.

I hope this helps,

Rob