How can I fix this problem

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Sun Aug 24 13:35:46 CDT 2003

Ferguson, Michael wrote:
> Hello Duane,
> Thanks veyr much for the reply.
> I am running wine-20030813, I think that's the latest one. No?

That is the latest "released" version. Getting the source code via CVS
and compiling would provide any more recent changes. That said, I don't
know whether it would fix this problem.

> Can you please expound on not running wine as root.

To some extent, this is a user philosophy issue ;) Linux provides a lot
of protection against inadvertent damage to your system, and other
connected systems, when you are running as a user. When running as root,
most of those protections are gone.

In general, programs that you are going to run as root should be well
tested to verify that it will not be destructive. Wine is alpha software
with lots of bugs, though I have not seen any actual destruction in
awhile ;) It will never qualify as a "safe" program for use by root.

And there is no reason to run Wine as root. All the directories that it
needs to write to, in particular the Wine C: drive, should be owned by
you, the user.