Problems building wine20030813

Paul McNett p at ulmcnett.com
Fri Aug 29 11:59:04 CDT 2003

puoti\@inwind\.it writes:

> Unless you have a really good reason for using the source, I
> suggest you install a binary, you can get the official wine
> builds here:
> https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=6241

I would recommend the opposite ;). Using Wine requires getting
your hands a little dirty, and understanding of what is going
on comes faster when installing the source with
./tools/wineinstall.

One of the first things people should do when installing Wine is
to search for and remove any previous installations:

rpm -q --all | grep -i "wine"
rpm -e <wine install>

cd /usr
find -iname "wine*"
<remove the usr/lib/wine and/or /usr/local/lib/wine entries>

Then download the "wine source from tarballs", extract it with:
tar -xzvf Wine-20030813.tar.gz

Apply any needed patches that haven't been committed yet, and
then:

cd <the top-level of the wine sources>
./tools/wineinstall

Every few months I also make a copy of my fake-windows tree and
my ~/.wine directory, and let wineinstall set them up fresh for
me again. You never know when you no longer need a specific
native DLL or when the ./wine/config file will add new
features.

Wine has really improved over the past few months, and to some
extent I wouldn't have noticed this fact if I hadn't had my
complete-reinstall routine. For instance, I had no idea there
was a graphical regedit now, because it had never been linked
into my fake windows directory until I did the clean install.
Now, I can erase the native copy I had.

Anyway, I admit I haven't tried an RPM install in over a year,
but my experience with those is that they don't configure
everything for you anyway, so if you think you are going to get
an easy install you'll just get frustrated because you don't
know where to look for things. With the source-tarball install,
it is really very easy, and it always installs everything to
the same place.

My 2 cents.

--
Paul McNett