Problems building wine20030813

Edgar Alwers edgaralwers at gmx.de
Fri Aug 29 17:38:42 CDT 2003

On Friday 29 August 2003 19:07, puoti at inwind.it wrote:

> Most users will not use open source until you tell them
> "It's great, but you must your hands a little dirty", they will answer "Get
> on with it, I like window because it's easy to use".
> The key to taking over the desktop is usability, that's what users want.

 I think, you should difference what  you are talking about. If you are
refering to Linux in general, you might be right. The operational system
should be easy to install and the applications should be easy to run. And I
think that the efforts of the different providers in this behalf have made
significant progresses.
But you are talking here about a system -wine -, which permits to use
applications of a different operating system - windows - through Linux. This
is by far not an easy task to be handled on the run by an office clark. Or at
least not at this time, perhaps in the future. So, for the moment, I am very
in favour of the theory of becoming dirty-handed trying wine.
Please, imagine for a moment Microsoft handling the operation of Linux
applications in Windows. A horror trip, isn't it ?
Regards,
Edgar

--
Dr.-Ing. Edgar Alwers